Friday, June 28, 2013

Quick and Easy


So this was just a 30 minute headshot session.  The young man I worked with is a professional and he just needed an updated photo.  I'm telling you, perfect practice makes perfect.  I have worked with and continue to work with clients without getting paid.  When I do that, I put in the same amount of time, effort, thought that I put in with paying clients (like this one).  That way, I never have to adjust what I do.  Everyone gets the best I can give.

In the past, I'd been using a silver reflector to bounce light onto the client but most people struggled with sunlight in their eyes.  Well, I have this huge 3x2 piece of white foam core that I just keep forgetting to take and use.  I took it on this day and I loved it!!  The light it bounces is soft and even.  But, I will probably get a new one because mine is crumbly so every time I move it, there is popcorn everywhere.  I also used an index card as a bounce card for my flash; hey, it gets the job done.  Lastly about gear, I loooooooove my light meter!  Takes all of the guess work out and it usually gets me where I want to be in terms of camera settings.

Most of the headshot sessions I do, I work with Chris Greene.  He does a phenomenal job working with my subjects and bringing that 'something' out of them that actually makes the photo.  I try to pay attention to him so I can use what he does when I am working on my own.  You have to do more than just push the shutter button, you have to find a way to make your subject convey an emotion and connect to create a compelling image.  And it doesn't hurt when you are working with someone who knows what they are doing, like this guy :).

Click here to see the rest of the photos from this session.








No comments:

Post a Comment