Tuesday, August 4, 2015

A Sharp Photo tip - Three legs are better than two

Weekend before last I got to photograph the 2015 #curvenationexpo.  Fashion shows are fun but they can be grueling; nonstop action and tons of little moments from the models that you don't want to miss.  In order to frame the shots correctly, there should be some distance between you and the stage so you will likely need to shoot with a long lens.  Add to this mix, less than optimal lighting and limited options in terms of you setting up lighting and now you have to slow your shutter speed down (you want to keep your aperture at 5.6 or smaller so that the clothing has the most detail).  Handholding under these conditions for 2 hours or so is a recipe for disaster.

I was able to set up 2 lights so that was helpful.  I like to move around when I shoot and get different angles but I thought it was a great idea to bring tripod.  I pretty much shot the whole show at 70mm and 1/50 (the rule is your shutter speed shouldn't be less than your focal length when handholding, it is possible but difficult).  Furthermore, when I got home to process, all of the images were perfectly straight making my post work much easier.  So for my day to day, I dont really use a tripod but for events, I highly recommend it.

Follow me in Twitter/Instagram: @asharpphoto
Website: www.asharpphoto.com

Asia Marin

Devorah Story wearing Tia Lyn

Nikki Carter wearing Tia Lyn
sexy art
Lakesshia Slaughter-Allen
canvas prints
Dori Carter

A Sharp Photo is a Central Florida based (Orlando to Ocala) photography company specializing in Actor/Corporate headshots, Film & TV Production photography, Boudoir, Portrait photography and Art.  Michae E. Allen started this company in 2012 and his aim is to use photography to show people the beauty in themselves and the world around them.

No comments:

Post a Comment