Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Flip mode

Last weekend I got to photograph the Competitive Edge Dance Company benefit show .  While boudoir is my niche, it was pretty cool!  It took a little bit to catch the rhythm (absolutely I meant the pun) but it was fun when I caught great moments.  The 'on the fly' aspect wasn't totally different than the work I do as a film production photographer.  I wasn't asked to shoot the event but I always want to do something new, something I haven't done before.  Plus, its nice to get out of Orlando/Ocala and be in a new place.

It was a little dark in the place so even with my faster lenses, I ended up needing a flash.  In the future, I'd love to have lights off camera off to the sides of the stage.  Even bouncing on camera flash can give you shadows behind your subject and I like to avoid that.  The best place to shoot is at the top of the center aisle and that spot was taken so I moved around the edges initially and at the end of the show, I sat on the aisle in the 3rd row.  That felt a little awkward because I didn't want to stand up and be in the way; missed a lot of shots due to heads and cell phones :).

I kept my shutter speed at about 1/200 but I should have shot some a little faster.  At 1/200, you still get motion blur if people are moving fast enough and that is cool.  The blur implies motion and allows the viewer to feel it.  A faster shutter speed (in conjunction with the flash) would have totally frozen the motion and that has its own impact.

Here are just a few of the images I was able to grab, enjoy!




See more of my work at www.asharpphoto.biz and follow me on Twitter/Instagram: @asharpphoto

No comments:

Post a Comment