Monday, November 17, 2014

Just call me Macgyver

So, when I shoot, I use wireless triggers.  That way, I can mount my flash (speedlite) onto a light stand, control it remotely and be more creative with the light.  Well, in the middle of a headshot session for @detourentertainment, my triggers stopped working.  You really don't want to shoot with your flash on your camera (or with your pop up flash); its just not pretty.

I didn't get frustrated or upset, I put my flash on my camera pointed it into the umbrella I was using to photograph my subject and bounced it off of the umbrella (to get @asharpphoto).  Yeah, doesn't sound that exciting but I felt like Superman (well, technically I'm a Spiderman guy but you know what I mean).  Its great when you have everything you need to do your job but the real test of your ability is when things go wrong.  When things don't work the way they are supposed to, can you adapt and still get the job done?  This takes time and practice.  In my acting class at +Truthful Acting Studios  the other day we talked about how so many people want shortcuts to success.  When you have a shortcut, you will only ever know how to do it exactly that way.  When monkey wrenches are tossed into the works, you will fall apart.  Keep working, keep learning, keep growing; not for the good times but for when everything goes left, you will know the right thing to do.



Here's the shot I got with technical difficulties:


No comments:

Post a Comment